A blog about living in Aberdeen, New Jersey.

Sunday, May 10, 2009

Serious Collision Analysis Response Team (SCART)

The Monmouth County Serious Collision Analysis Response Team (SCART) participated in the analysis a recent pedestrian strike in Aberdeen that resulted in the death of a 75 year old man. The victim was struck by a vehicle on 1 May 2009 as he crossed Lloyd Road in the I Section of Strathmore, according to the Asbury Park Press.

Excluding perfunctory mentions in official press releases announcing a role for SCART in various criminal investigations, the county's Major Crimes Bureau web page provides the only mention of SCART that could be considered a formal description. The bureau says its Homicide Unit works closely with SCART, adding

This is a team of highly trained collision reconstruction specialists drawn from police departments throughout Monmouth County. It is supervised by several police chiefs. This regionalized investigative team analyzes traffic collisions utilizing state-of-the-art sophisticated equipment.

SCART members offer training in this sophisticated equipment through Rutgers University.

Considering the visibility of SCART in the community, the county should consider dedicating a web page to the team to showcase its work. Even if it is "regionalized" and not a county entity, the county website is the logical place to feature the team.

Previous investigations involving SCART in Aberdeen or Matawan include another fatality on Lloyd Road, this one at Nutmeg Road on 11 March 2007; charges of vehicular homicide were filed, according to the Independent. SCART was also involved in the investigation of a head on collision that killed an Old Bridge taxi driver on High Street in Matawan on 17 October 2004, as reported in the Suburban. Police said the incident was caused by a drunk driver who struck the taxi.


  1. I was there. Phil was my friend. The driver was blameless.

    Phil was exiting the Young Israel of Aberdeen following the Sabbath services. In front of the synagogue is a bus stop. As the bus pulled out, Phil's view was obstructed but, due to it being nighttime, Phil didn't realize he couldn't see the oncoming traffic.

    He bolted across the street and was hit full speed by the driver. Though he was still alive by the time police arrived, I can't imagine, short of a miracle, that he could have survived the accident.

    The ambulance arrived about ten minutes later and took its time leaving the scene.

    The driver had been hit by a car as a child and nearly had a breakdown at the scene.

    At first we didn't realize it was Phil because people look different when they're dead and we didn't know if it was a bus passenger.

    Phil was a cargo navigator during Vietnam and received veteran honors at his funeral.