A blog about living in Aberdeen, New Jersey.

Sunday, October 31, 2010

Sanity Unlikely to Prevail; But Gauntlet Set for Perplexed Media

My wife and I each had siblings who represented us at the Rally to Restore Sanity in Washington yesterday. I wish I could have been there myself. Thanks to those who went.

So, what was the message? According to Politicus USA, the media struggled without success to understand the point of Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert's gathering on the Mall. Perhaps because the media were one of the main targets of their satire?

Stewart recently commented, "The country’s 24 hour political pundit perpetual panic conflictinator did not cause our problems but its existence makes solving them that much harder. The press can hold its magnifying glass up to our problems bringing them into focus, illuminating issues heretofore unseen or they can use that magnifying glass to light ants on fire and then perhaps host a week of shows on the sudden, unexpected dangerous flaming ant epidemic."

Too bad the mainstream media turned their backs on the rally. NPR, NY Times, Washington Post, et al forbade their correspondents to attend, so coverage was weak this morning. (I imagine they didn't pay attention in high school either.) I hope they reflect upon the message and reassess, but that might be too much to ask.

1 comment:

  1. I did pay attention in high school, and since we were able, we went to the rally. Let me tell you, it was such a relief to meet so many friendly people and be able to assume like minds! Many laughs, great music, but I do not imagine we made one lick of difference to the electoral result. It was nice to be part of the statement, nevertheless.

    ReplyDelete