A blog about living in Aberdeen, New Jersey.

Sunday, September 19, 2010

History: Loew's Open Air Drive-In Theatre (Hazlet Drive-In)

Facebook has a site called I Remember the Hazlet Drive-in dedicated to the old Route 35 drive-in theatre that was torn down in 1991 to make room for a Price Club and the Hazlet Multiplex. Costco, the Rave Movie Theatres, and Bertucci's are located there now. The drive-in opened in 1956 as the Loew's Open Air Drive-In Theatre. The Facebook group has some interesting contributions.

This video (below) shows the drive-in just before it was torn down. Note the images of the projection room.

2 comments:

  1. That was awesome! Thank you to whoever shared it. I wish that they never tore it down, because yes, I do think what they have there now is very ANNOYING. And the price to go to the movies now, is RIDICULOUS! I prefer to wait for it to come out on DVD & Blue Ray. I miss the good ole days!
    I miss when gas was cheap & having fun was cheap.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you enjoyed my article and the attached video. I can't claim credit for the video, which I found at YouTube. Movies are definitely expensive these days. I go less often and am far pickier. I can't remember the last time I went to the movies and stood outside picking which one to see. Now I act like I'm a bank and I'm granting a mortgage to the film director. It better be worth it! Come back again. Glad you enjoy the blog.

    ReplyDelete