A blog about living in Aberdeen, New Jersey.

Thursday, May 31, 2012

History: Rev Joseph A Linnane and the St Joseph's Carnival (1924)

The front page of the 8 August 1924 edition of The Matawan Journal contains one of the earliest reviews of the St Joseph's Carnival in Keyport. Reverend Joseph A Linnane established the parish carnival and rebuilt the parish school soon after arriving in Keyport in 1923.

Four-day Event In Parish Hall was a Social and Financial Success. 

The summer carnival of St. Joseph's Parish, held from July 30th to August 2d, inclusive, was a very successful event both from a social and financial standpoint. Crowds were present each of the four evenings it was in progress and there were many enthusiastic buyers. A chicken supper was served on the opening night and over 600 persons were fed.

No detailed financial statement can be given at the present time as many who bad books of coupons to sell on articles disposed of on the co-operative plan have not reported. It is known, however, that a considerable sum of money was cleared.

The summer festival or carnival was introduced by Rev. Joseph Linnane and was made possible through the erection of the new parish hall in which it was held.
Rev Joseph A Linnane, Rector, St Joseph's Church, Matawan Journal, 23 May 1924


Rev Joseph A Linnane was born 3 Oct 1875 in Westborough, Massachusetts. He was the son of Thomas and Susan Linnane, of Ireland.

The family was living in Westborough in the 1880 Federal Census.   Joseph's father was a stone mason, while his mother was keeping house for their large family. Joseph's 17-year old brother Michael was also a stone mason. His 16-year old sister Mary was a dress maker. He had three more sisters -- Nellie, Susan, and Delia, ages 14, 12, and 7, respectively -- all in school. Joseph was 4. All of the children were born in Massachusetts.

He graduated the College of the Holy Cross, Worcester, Massachusetts, Class of 1898, according to The Holy Cross Purple, pg 489.

Joseph was living with his widowed mother in Westborough in 1900. They traveled to Europe together, then  returned to Boston from Liverpool in September 1901 aboard the S S Saxonia.

Joseph did his theological studies at St Joseph's Seminary at Dunwoodie in Yonkers, NY, according to The Holy Cross Purple, pg 489. He was ordained on 6 June 1903. He was to read his first mass in his home town of Westboro, Mass, then go to serve in the Diocese of Trenton. 

The 7 June 1903 edition of The New York Times described the details of Joseph's ascent to the Roman Catholic priesthood from deacon in an elaborate ceremony conducted by the Archbishop of New York John Murphy Farley at St Patrick's Cathedral in New York City the previous morning. Joseph was one of thirteen deacons raised to the priesthood. Ninety others were ordained in a parallel ceremony. All were students of St Joseph's Seminary at Dunwoodie.

In 1910,  Rev Linnane was a Catholic priest living in Dover, Ocean County, NJ. He was rector at the Catholic church in Toms River, NJ, according to the 6 Apr 1910 edition of The Red Bank Register. He served at St Joseph's church in Toms River, according to references to an undated library gift mentioned in the New Jersey Library Bulletins of 1914, pg xxii, and 1919, pg 6.

Rev Linnane, of Toms River, became a life member of the New Jersey Historical Society on 7 Apr 1913, according to the Proceedings of the Society, pg 190.  He was living in Toms River, NJ when he obtained his US passport in 1916.

Rev Linnane transferred to Keyport from Toms River, NJ in June 1923 and immediately set about replacing the overcrowded school with a new building, according to "Keyport in the 20th Century," by Timothy E Regan, pg 50.

Only months before the 1924 carnival, Father Joseph had officiated at the dedication of the new parochial school building at St Joseph's. See the 23 May 1924 edition of The Matawan Journal for the coverage of that ceremony, and the 18 Apr 1924 edition for details about the new building. (The school was enlarged in 1952, becoming the largest parochial school in the Trenton diocese.)
St Joseph's New Parochial School Building, Matawan Journal, 18 Apr 1924


Post a Comment